Signs of Autumn - Bittersweet

The summer flew by and now we are enjoying autumn. My brother brought an armful of lovely bittersweet branches, so appropriate for the season. I wasted no time in decorating the mantel!

Speaking of the  fireplace, we have made some changes during the summer. This is what it looked like last year...
and earlier this summer... BEFORE..
and AFTER...

We had the dark brick for 30 years...yes, 30! ...so it was time for a change. The room is considerably brighter. We had the walls painted in a blue-grey color and I am still looking for suitable art for the walls, and new window valances are in the works.
We wanted a whitewash appearance to the brick so we used chalk paint diluted, and a small roller to skim the surface, leaving the indentations more exposed. The most difficult part was painting the grout lines.
Just one more picture...our 4 foot tall vase with summer flowers... I miss them already!


Comments

How pretty your fireplace looks, Millie! I love the new look and the aqua accents just pop on it. I miss the summertime too. We were too busy and therefore didn't have much time to relax and enjoy it. Hoping next year will be better. Thank you for stopping by. It's so nice to hear from you. Happy Autumn and take care!

Blessings,
Sandi
Anonymous said…
Very nice Millie. I might need to reconsider our brick fireplace! Hope all is well...
Pamela Gordon said…
Welcome back Millie! I love your newly painted fireplace bricks. What a lovely change for your room. Your mantel looks so pretty with the bittersweet branches. I love the turquoise planter amongst the summer flowers. Take care. Pam
Lorrie said…
So nice to see a post from you, Millie. The new fireplace look is fresh and bright. Well done. Bittersweet is such a great addition to your mantel.
Anonymous said…
Hi Millie! I think your fireplace looks wonderful and you've got it decorated for fall so beautifully. Love the branches. Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
Anonymous said…
I adore your fireplace and the touches of aqua. I love to watch the home and garden tv show "Fixer Upper" and this is their style - so pretty and cheerful.

Wishing you a very nice day. xo
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Decorating for Thanksgiving 2020