What's In A Name?

Star of Bethlehem...a lovely plant with flowers which are described well by their name....


BUT....

These are some of my favorite spring flowers, and the plant is named "LUNGWORT" (pulmonaria)! Such an unappealing name for something so sweet. The stems include both pink and blue flowers, the blue being one of the clearest and most vivid seen in flowers.
Truly one of God's finest little surprises!
I believe the name reflects the fact that the leaves are spotted and somewhat resemble lungs.
The little flowered container is one I bought from an elderly lady who is now in a nursing home. I hope she knows that I will cherish and value it.

Comments

ellen b. said…
Lungwort! That's funny but the flowers are very sweet. I love the container they are in and I can understand you cherishing it. I couldn't help noticing your other pretties (blue & white) in the background...
Loks said…
You have these plants so early in Manitoba? We are just getting violets up now. I haven't even seen a trillium which is our Ontario flower! Its been so cold though, it always surpises me with what does grow.
neleh

Popular posts from this blog

Decorating for Thanksgiving 2020