The Way it Was

Last weekend we took my Mom on a little trip to parts of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. She is almost 92 and wanted to see the places where she grew up and spent her early married days. At Dauphin, Mb., we went to "Threshing Days" where old-fashioned methods of harvesting, etc. were being shown. She loved that!
She was keen to go for a ride on this buggy...
 ...a wagon load of sheaves being brought to the threshing area...

...and the threshing machine at work...

Mom took a pitchfork and was about to demonstrate picking up a sheaf of wheat...

We also visited her first log house in Saskatchewan, built in 1937. You can read about it here..http://millie-manitobameanderings.blogspot.com/2010/08/25-log-house.html
The original wallpaper is still hanging on...even though this room has been used for grain storage in the past...
The "hardwood" floors were never sealed or varnished and she had to scrub them on hands and knees with a lye solution .

...There have been a lot of changes in her lifetime!

Comments

ellen b. said…
Wow this is great to see. Your mom is a wonderful 92! I don't think my 88 year old mom can lift up her leg to get into a buggy these days. I'm sure she has seen a lot of change in her 92 years!
Pamela Gordon said…
These are great pictures. Your mum looks pretty spry for almost 92! I looked at the older post on the log house your parents built. Amazing that it's still standing. The country fair sounds like a fun event.
Anonymous said…
Hi Millie, I am so glad to have found you again. I deleted my old blog and had to start a new one - I lost all my contacts etc.

What a precious trip to share with your Mom. She is beautiful. Thank you for sharing these awesome photos.

Popular posts from this blog

Decorating for Thanksgiving 2020

Cloche Party!!